Thursday, December 4, 2008

The last of the white truffles...







More pictures of Matera taken today on my walk ... and my new hat!

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Ciao, Ancora! (that’s again, although I’m not sure it’s spelled correctly!)

It was raining all morning, but despite this, after breakfast we decided to head to the
Archeological Museum. A terrific collection!! Lovely building; even some English in places, which was nice. Had a good look around, then headed back out into the rain. As it was nearly lunchtime, we decided to stop for hot chocolate at our favorite local café. Wow! It was like liquid Hershey bars! I loved it, but R very uncertain. (Actually, he has decided that he is just about “coffee-ed” out – something I never thought I’d see!) Then had lunch – R had a grilled sandwich of smoked cheese, smoked mushrooms and spicy salami – it looked (and was) good! And I had a salad with tomato, mozzarella and tuna (from a can); it was excellent, although probably not the best thing on a cold and rainy day!

From there, we headed back to our cave, as R wanted a lie-down. (Actually, I think it was the combined fact that he feel’s I’m walking his chubby little legs off, and that he was in the midst of a good book that he wanted to finish! Oh well!) About 3, it stopped raining, and the sun actually came out for a bit, so I decided to take a walk by myself. A good thing I did, as R would NOT have liked all the up and down steps! I walked down into the Sassi from the top, crossed over, and headed up the other side to the Duomo. VERY, VERY cold out, but clearing up – I think that a major cold front has moved through into the area with the storm – wishing I’d brought warmer clothes and my HAT! However… Wandered quite a bit, up back into town and the main square. I think there is a music school here, possibly as part of the university, because the other night when we were walking, we heard someone practicing the piano. Then today, I heard a flute practicing scales, and then something like a horn joining in; very lovely, with the old stone stairs and walls! Walked into town and found a place where I think (when they reopen this evening) I may be able to get a HAT! Know that we are at the end of the trip, but I HATE when my ears are cold, and we’re hoping to see Paestum tomorrow, and possibly Pompeii on Saturday, and Antica Ostia on Sunday, so figure that I’ll get some use out of it under any circumstances!

So, heading out now to shop and go to dinner. Will let you know how it was when we get back! But I also wanted to post some more pictures of Matera. It is SO difficult to describe this place, but I’m hoping that you’ll be able to see from the photos that this place is truly like a rabbit-warren; although R says it’s more like an Escher drawing…

Much love and more later!
m

Well, we’re back!!! And I have a HAT! (Note picture!) LOVE my hat! And it’ll even keep my ears warm – what a concept! Back to Nadi for the last time … will really miss that place; back to “our” table! We both had ravioli of the day for starters – ravioli stuffed with pumpkin, in a tomato sauce – just wonderful! Then for mains, R had the roast chicken, and I had steak, rare, with the last of their white truffles! YUM! Will probably not have truffles again for another year … will have lots to remember! They have to be my FAVORITE food!! Back to the hotel; cold, clear night – and bed!!

m

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your hat! You look adorable. The pictures of the town are incredible. Very much like an Escher drawing.