Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Dinner - Exceptional!






Morning!

Robert figured out whatever was keeping us from sending photos, so several are attached from yesterday in Strasbourg ... so, on to dinner!

WOW! Just incredible! As I mentioned yesterday, I've been reading Julia Child's "My Life in France" -- and was feeling very brave...so! On to the menu! Lovely dining room; nice and comfortable and quiet.

We started with aperitifs of coupe de Champagne -- lovely! Then came their little "amuse bouches" -- something to get you interested in eating. In this case, there were several things -- not sure what exactly -- a small round of bread with a slice of sausage topped by a VERY tiny hard-boiled egg -- a sliver of bread with a wonderful tarragon sauce for dipping, and finally, a tiny glass of frothy, thin pea soup with basil -- YUMMY!

Then came the starters -- a green salad simply dressed with a citrus vinaigrette for R, and Cassoulet avec l'escargot avec noisettes for me (snails in cassoulet with hazel nuts) -- AMAZING! Main course for Robert was St. Georges (fish: John Dory) perfectly cooked with veggies and a rice and barley side. I had poussin with frites -- small glazed chicken with french fries. Desserts were incredible -- R had feuillettes (thin sheets of pastry dough) with vanilla ice cream, red fruits (currents, strawberries and raspberries) along with a dollop of basil ice cream. Mine included two meringues with raspberry ice cream, whipped cream and strawberries -- Oh my!! Everything was washed down with a lovely bottle of Sancerre.

At any rate, we then waddled back to he hotel and collapsed into bed! Any wonder I'm not hungry upon waking??

Take care!
More later!
m

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Oh my goodness! That menu looks and sounds exquisite! My mouth is watering just looking at it. I'm so jealous! I hope you are having a wonderful time. I would go just for the food!!