Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Plan is in Place!!

Good afternoon, Folks!

We have a plan in place to leave the hospital at 5:45 a.m. in the morning, via ambulance, to Montpellier Airport. Then the rest of the flights as I listed yesterday, with the proposal of getting us into Tucson TOMORROW (Wednesday) at 4:50 p.m.

We simply cannot believe it!! The hospital has been wonderful. The Physical Therapist brought the hospital's crutches (they call them canes) for Robert to try this morning, and I got a prescription shortly thereafter and went out and got his own set for him! I also have two doses of Lovenox in my possession, which is the andi-blood-clotting medication, which I can give to him if necessary.

Steward Lacasce has been wonderful about contacting R's primary care physician in Tucson, so we are hopeful of seeing Dr. Roy on Friday, or at least being able to get an additional Lovenox prescription to take him through to next week.

R has a bruise the size of Texas on his hip/leg, and it is truly an assortment of the most amazing colors! He also has what looks to be something like 20 staples in his incision. But it is closing well; no signs of infection or problem, and for that we are very thankful! R was able to shower (except for his right hip!) this afternoon, and dressed in clean clothes, he says he feels like a new man! (Although I kind of liked the old one!)

I took the car over to return it to Avis, hoping against hope for the best, as I hadn't been able to reach anybody there to talk to, and got no answer to the email I sent a couple of days ago. Got there, and the place was shut up tight! Then I realized that it was 1:45 p.m. -- closed for lunch! It was back open by 2 p.m. and I was able to turn the car in. The folks were truly terrific. We had been concerned about some horrendous drop charge for not taking it back to Frankfurt, but they were incredibly understanding, and the bill isn't bad at all! What wonderful people! I then took a cab back to the hospital, and then it was just a case of waiting...and waiting...we're both going STIR CRAZY!!

I'm about to head out for my evening visit to the hospital. May try and sneak a cafe baguette in, as food pretty bad. Haven't had the camera ready, though, so probably no proof!!

I will post again tomorrow, hopefully from the U.S. to let everybody know if/when we arrived home. Thanks SO much to EVERYBODY for all their prayers, thoughts, and helpful suggestions! We will be thanking you all individually once we're home, for sure!

Much love,
m
x

2 comments:

Brenda said...

We're so glad that things are working out and that you both should be heading home so soon. Truly amazing how everything is working out. So great that Robert is doing so well and that you have the organizing powers that you have, Margaret, to make a best case scenario come about out of this. We'll be thinking about you guys on your way home. Please take care and get home safely!! Love, Brenda and Chris

Donnie and Carol said...

You have to be the most resourceful, cool-headed, and caring person I know. It's easy to see why Robert loves you.

Though this trip didn't turn out the way you'd planned, it certainly has provided the two of you with an interesting story to tell.

I chuckled when I read that you had a Big Mac at a French McDonalds. That's the Margaret Oswald that I remember ( plus, I LOVE those things! shhhhhh!)