Saturday, September 19, 2009

We're making progress!!!

First of all, I want to thank EVERYONE of you who emailed and/or called me. I cannot tell you, during some rather bleak hours, how much your friendly voices and reassurances meant to me! Katy Zappala, a very wise woman, suggested that I continue to blog, to keep everyone up to date on what's happening with us. So...
here it comes!

When I talked to R this morning about 7:30 a.m., he said that he hadn't been given any breakfast, and that they'd come in to shave his leg -- all good signs! -- but that he didn't know when his surgery would be. I got there about 9 a.m. and they were in for him before 9:30! I was able to walk with him to the operating "bloc" door, which was good for both of us, and an absolutely brilliant nurse told me where to sit; to go get food and come back; she was, like everyone there, wonderful!

First off, it was very strangely quiet at the hospital. I have no way of knowing if this is always like this -- but you just don't see a whole lot of people around most times! So, first I had to find my way to the cafe -- really challenging, as the hospital is on both positive and negative levels -- R's room, for instance, is on -4and the guest parking is also on -4, but another building, and of course they don't connect! I was able to find, however, the main entrance, and judged everything from there. The main thing is that I can find his room on a regular basis; that's all I need!

Very quiet waiting, but finally, around 1:30 the nurse and the anesthesiologist came out together, told me he was in recovery, that all had gone well, and even let me wave to him and he waved back! GREAT progress!! From recovery they had to take him to x-ray, and he finally got back to his room about 3:30 p.m. Boy, was I glad to see him! He looks GREAT, and he feels really. I saw the x-ray -- boy, he is NEVER going to be able to get through an airport ever again!

First off, there is a plate in the leg held in by 3 screws. Then there is one VERY long screw just above this. It's truly amazing! R is just SO thankful that it is over, because he was having a very difficult time NOT moving, and with his break where it was, there was no way he could move at all! So!!

The doctor says that he will be in hospital for the next 3-4 (possibly 5) days; they will get him up tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes. The doctor wants him medically evacuated, but I've told him that I will get R back either business or 1st class, so that he can lie flat -- that's important! Also, we've got to take it in segments, with no one segment over 8 hours long. So...I'm going to call the airlines tonight, or early tomorrow morning (I'm EXHAUSTED...) As we're traveling on miles, I've got no idea what they'll do! However, I have great faith that all will work out, and that I'll be able to bring Robert back to the United States this coming weekend.

We've had wonderful offers of help once he is in CA, and our plan is now to head to Arthur & Anne's for a day or two of rest, before I drive him back to Tucson.

As for me, I had originally found a Best Western that I thought was fairly close to the hospital .... WRONG! It turned out to be MILES away! They were really wonderful, though -- when I explained the situation, they actually called the Vatel Hotel (4***!) and got me a room! -- which is amazing, because it's the fair in Nimes, and the town is packed with people! But the truly amazing thing is that the hotel has a special rate of 89 Euros/night for people needing to be close to the hospital -- and that, dear friends, is the best news -- R can see my hotel from his room, and it takes all of 4-5 minutes to walk UP the hill to see him! Wow! I am so thankful; it's a truly wonderful arrangement!

So...that's the plan, everybody! And I promise, I will keep posting and in touch!

Thanks again to everybody -- I can't tell you how much a friendly voice matters right about now!!

Much love,
m
x

1 comment:

Andrew Davidson said...

M&R,

Wow, so sorry to hear about Robert's accident. Glad that the surgery went well and he seems ok. You'll know for sure when he starts clamoring for pasta!

Now you'll be able to add to the Great USA Health Care Debate of 2009 when you get back with observations, firsthand, on the French system with a public option!

All our best,

a+l